It’s definitely time for soup. This Delicious Squash Soup is warm and filling and an easy way to get in multiple servings of vegetables 🌶 🌽 🍅. This soup is fun to make, simple and delicious. It looks from the picture like it contains cream but it’s actually just creamy in texture from pureeing the ingredients. Also I frequently find squash soups to be too sweet. This recipe is actually more savory with a kick from a bit of red pepper.
Delicious Squash Soup
–One 32 ounce package of cut up butternut squash (this squash is hard to cut up so I prefer to buy it already chopped up from Costco).
-One large sweet onion chopped up into 1 inch pieces.
-1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
-One 15 ounce can of 100 % pure pumpkin 🎃 (check the label and don’t accidentally purchase pumpkin pie filling as that will be too sweet and seasoned like pumpkin 🎃 pie!)
-One 32 ounce box of low sodium chicken broth (use the low sodium because then you can add salt 🧂 to your taste. You can’t take it out once it’s in the soup😬).
-1/4 tsp crushed red pepper🌶flakes
-1/2 tsp freshly grated or dried nutmeg
-1 tsp kosher salt 🧂
-I/2 tsp freshly ground pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On two large sheet pans toss the cut up squash and onions with enough olive oil to coat and then sprinkle the salt and pepper all over these veggies. (The reason for the two sheet pans is you want some space between the pieces of vegetables so that they will brown and not simply steam. Browning creates more flavor than simply steaming).
3. Put these sheet pans in the oven to roast for about 35-40 minutes, shaking and flipping the veggies with a spatula halfway through. You’re aiming to cook the veggies until they’re golden brown with maybe a few crispy pieces. If necessary add a little more olive oil if they look dry.
4. Remove from oven and put all the squash and onions into a large cast iron Dutch oven or deep heavy bottomed pot. (The reason I use a cast iron Le cruset pot is that it heats evenly and the surface will stand up to my immersion blender without ruining the pan’s finish.)
5. With the stove on medium heat add the canned pumpkin 🎃 chicken 🐓 broth, red pepper 🌶flakes, nutmeg, salt and pepper to the roasted squash and onion mixture. Bring to a gentle boil and then turn off the heat.
6. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup to a creamy consistency. I think this is so much easier than transferring the soup to a blender as it’s all in one pot and there’s no risk of getting burned by the hot mixture.
Now simmer this puréed mixture on low for about 15 minutes.
7. Taste the soup and see if it needs more salt 🧂, pepper, or crushed red pepper.
N.B. If you don’t eat this all at one meal, it freezes well for three months. Also when you freeze or even refrigerate soups they may need more seasoning when reheated. Just taste the reheated dish and adjust to your palate.
I hope you LOVE this Delicious Squash Soup! I make it all fall and winter. The color is great and the texture is so creamy. Let me know what other soups you like to make in the comments below! Thanks! And stay warm!!