Here is the Best Recipe for Key Lime Pie! Are you a key lime pie lover? I am and hadn’t made one in a very long time. But it was hot the other day and I wanted to make something cool that didn’t taste “heavy”. Key lime pie came to mind and I started going through recipes. This particular recipe is a combination of the Graham Cracker Crust recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and the Allrecipes recipe for Key Lime Pie.
Many people use the store-bought graham cracker crust, but it gives me the creeps. It’s sitting out of the refrigerator on the grocery store shelves. So it has to have a bunch of preservatives. And my preservative-free crust recipe is so easy as it just takes five minutes to prep and 45 minutes to firm up in the refrigerator. That’s enough time to squeeze the limes, make the filling, cut up the lime slices for garnish, and whip the whipped cream! What a deal!
Best Recipe for Key Lime Pie!: (Watch the Attached Video for a great visual!)
Ingredients: (for the best recipe for Key Lime Pie!)
- 1 1/4 cups fine graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons of melted butter
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (14 ounces) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lime juice***
- 1 pint of heavy cream
- 1 extra lime, for garnish
***I know that the traditional recipe for Key Lime Pie uses Key Limes, but I just use regular limes and the recipe tastes FANTASTIC!
Steps: (for the best Recipe for Key Lime Pie!)
Crust: (for the Best Recipe for Key Lime Pie!)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a 9-inch glass pie plate, combine the melted butter, sugar, and graham cracker crumbs. Mix well.
- Press this mixture firmly into the pie plate, using the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Filling: (for the Best Recipe for Key Lime Pie!)
- Combine the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and egg yolks in a large bowl by whisking these ingredients all together. Mix well.
- Pour into unbaked, chilled graham cracker crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the filling is set, about 15 minutes.
- Allow pie to cool completely on a baking rack until completely cool before slicing. (Pro-tip: You can make the pie up to this point the day before your celebration if you so choose!)
- Put the mixing blades and mixing bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes at least. (Pro-tip: This allows the whipping cream to whip more easily).
- Right before serving, take the mixing blades and mixing bowl out of the freezer and whip the whipping cream first on low for a minute, and then on high for several minutes until it’s the consistency of whipping cream. (Pro-tip: By mixing it on low first, you avoid spraying yourself and your kitchen with whipped cream!).
- Put this whipped cream in a Ziploc bag and cut off the bottom corner of the bag so you have a homemade pastry bag.
- Pipe whip cream all along the edge of the pie.
- Slice up the extra lime to use as garnish.
- Cut the pie and place it on serving plates.
- Garnish each piece with a lime slice that you twist (see the attached video!)
I hope you enjoy this Best Recipe for Key Lime Pie! It’s so refreshing and light-tasting. It was a hit at two different dinner parties I recently attended with Mr. G.Q., so I think you should give it a try. Please let me know in the comments if you do, or DM me @drjuliemarshall. Thanks for reading!
PS Here are a few more posts for you to enjoy:
How to Style a Denim Dress Four Ways
Yummy and Healthy Berry Crumble
Styling Paper Bag Waist Pants Five Ways