In this post, I will show you an easy recipe for spicy chickpeas. Are you a fan of spicy, salty, crunchy snacks? I sure am! I love these types of flavors and textures especially when snacking. But since November of 2021, I have been making a concerted effort to eat healthier food, especially with respect to snacks. So I discovered a recipe for roasted spicy chickpeas that is so delicious that you will want to make it TODAY!
If you look online, you will literally see hundreds of recipes for crunchy roasted chickpeas. The seasoning for roasted chickpeas recipes can vary greatly, depending on your taste preferences. This recipe is so delicious because it is a bit spicy, pretty salty, and very crunchy. Check out my yummy spicy chickpea recipe:
In this post...
- 1 Recipe for Spicy Chickpeas
- 2 Ingredients for the Spicy Chickpeas:
- 3 Steps to Make the Spicy Chickpeas
- 3.0.1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 3.0.2 Step 1: Drain the chickpeas very thoroughly in a strainer.
- 3.0.3 Step 2: Dry the strained chickpeas very thoroughly with several paper towels.
- 3.0.4 Step 3: In a small bowl with a little whisk or small spoon, mix together the olive oil, and all the spices listed above.
- 3.0.5 Step 4: Pop the baking tray of spicy chickpeas into the oven on the middle rack to roast for 40-60 minutes.
- 3.0.6 Step 5: Enjoy!!!
Recipe for Spicy Chickpeas
Above is a bowl of yummy crispy roasted chickpeas. The color varies from a golden brown to a medium, brown. Every bite is a bit spicy, salty, and crunchy. So delicious!
Ingredients for the Spicy Chickpeas:
Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans. The version I prefer is the boxed ones from Whole Foods because they only contain garbanzo beans. Unfortunately, many other brands contain artificial coloring and additives which aren’t good for your health or metabolism.
So you’ll need:
- Two boxes or cans of garbanzo beans
- 4 Tablespoons of olive oil (Olive oil is a healthy fat to eat as opposed to vegetable oils)
- 2 teaspoons of Ground Cumin
- 4 teaspoons of Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons of Cayenne Pepper
- 2 teaspoons of fine Sea Salt
Steps to Make the Spicy Chickpeas
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 1: Drain the chickpeas very thoroughly in a strainer.
Step 2: Dry the strained chickpeas very thoroughly with several paper towels.
Step 3: In a small bowl with a little whisk or small spoon, mix together the olive oil, and all the spices listed above.
It will look like a brown paste. Now carefully drizzle this spice and olive oil paste all over the carefully dried chickpeas. Take a few moments to fully cover all the chickpeas with this seasoning mixture. DO NOT DO THIS WITH BARE HANDS!!! Either use disposable gloves, or a spoon as this spice mixture will REALLY IRRITATE YOUR EYES even many hours later if you are removing your contacts. Be sure to spread the chickpeas into a single layer so they will roast evenly, and not just steam.
Step 4: Pop the baking tray of spicy chickpeas into the oven on the middle rack to roast for 40-60 minutes.
When you put the tray in the oven I set the oven’s timer for 40 minutes. But then, I also set my phone timer for 10 minutes. Then every 10 minutes, I stir the pan and mix up the beans so as to avoid the seasoning from burning and to help the beans to brown evenly. I also start tasting the chickpeas at 40 minutes for crunchiness. I like them really crunchy, so it usually takes closer to 60 minutes to get the delicious snack seen below.
Step 5: Enjoy!!!
I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe for spicy chickpeas. It is a healthy, vegan, gluten-free recipe that I absolutely love! Please let me know in the comments below if you do too!
PS Here are a few other posts for your viewing pleasure: