On an earlier post, (Messy Closet, Part One) where I began cleaning my messy closet, I began my closet reboot and successfully organized my clothing but the other helpful task to do involved figuring out a system to straighten out my accessories. In this post I will show you How to Organize Accessories in a Messy Closet.
As any fashionista knows accessories make the look. But many times we reach for the same look because it’s easy and we’re just not sure where that other scarf is hidden. But I have found that taking the time to organize your loot is time well spent. See if any of my solutions resonate with you. I would love to hear your comments.
How to Organize Accessories in a Messy Closet
Here’s what I did:
1. Again I started by removing from my closet all my shawls, scarves, belts, necklaces, bracelets, earrings, shoes, boots, hats and purses, and extra toiletries.
2. I have found that “out of sight” really ends up being “out of my wardrobe”. If you must keep your handbags and shoes in boxes, take the time to snap a photo of each item and print them out on regular paper. Then tape the photos on the boxes.
3. Sort through every item and as with your clothing into four categories: “to throw away”, “to give away”, “to repair”, and “to keep”. With accessories I don’t subscribe to the rule of discarding items not worn in the past year. Accessories for the most part should be kept indefinitely unless you hate the way the item looks or makes you feel when you wear it or if you have duplicates.
4. Now look at the “to keep” piles. As you can see from my photos now you’ll probably need to purchase some organizers, hooks, baskets, etc. Sources include your local hardware store, the Container Store, and Amazon.
5. For my shawls and wraps, I hung them across velvet hangers by color.
6. My scarves, belts, necklaces, and purses I used tie racks.
7. For my bracelets and earrings I purchased several tiered trays. .
8. I lined my knee-high boots up under my shoe racks and my shoes were lined up with the right shoe facing outward and the left facing inward. This trick allows you to see the front of the shoe as well as the heel height. It also allowed me to get two extra pairs of shoes on that shelf.
9. The hats are on nails.
10. The last batch of items I organized were my excess toiletries. Now that I’m retired from my cosmetic dermatology practice I had to find a system for corralling all those work-related beauty supplies. In addition although I LOVE Amazon, I HATE when trying to store excess items such as two extra bottles of shampoo because it was a “better deal” to buy three bottles than one. And it really makes me crazy when I can’t find the stuff I ordered, so I order more! So this problem has been successfully solved now by a trip to Homegoods for a bunch of different sized baskets. I sorted everything into these bins and because they’re on a higher shelf, I purchased white cardboard tags that I labeled with a black marker. Don’t they look great!
11. Ta da!!! You’re done. Yay, you!
PS If you want to read about cleaning your closet while watching a Hallmark movie, check out his post.