Last week it was my friend Linda’s birthday so we decided to have a socially distanced party for two. The birthday dessert was a pan of lemon bars. These are fun and easy to make. The house smelled like the best bakery so I was in my happy place. Here’s how I made them:
Makes 16 little bars or (8 bigger ones)
-1/4 cup chopped walnuts
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
-1/4 tsp kosher salt
-1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
-1 cup (I used one jar) prepared lemon curd
Adjust the oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line an 8 inch square baking pan with heavy-duty foil, leaving an overhang on two sides to facilitate removal of bar from the pan. Coat with cooking spray.
Spread chopped nuts in another small oven safe pan.
4. Bake the nuts for 9-10 minutes, until golden.
5. While the nuts are baking, mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the melted butter with a fork, then switch to hands and continue to mix until dough is crumbly and sticks together when squeezed.
6. Press dough into the bottom of the prepared square baking pan.
7. Place this pan in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, until golden brown along the edges.
8. Remove the crust from the oven. Spread the lemon curd over the crust. Then sprinkle with the toasted nuts.
9. Return the pan to the oven and bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using foil “handles”, lift bars from pan.
10. Let cool to room temperature, then cut into 2 inch (or bigger) bars and serve. My friend Linda wanted a little bar because she and her hubby are very successfully practicing the “keto” diet.
N.B. These bars can be double-wrapped and frozen for 3 months, or stored at room temperature for several days under a glass dome.
These bars are adapted from the wonderful cookbook The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great by cookbook author (not Baywatch actress) Pam Anderson. It’s a FABULOUS cookbook with many practical healthy weight loss tips as well as many different recipes.
*Please note this post contains affiliate links. When you shop through my links, it helps support my business (at absolutely no additional cost to you) so thank you!! Dr. Julie